Metropolitan Tennis Group (MTG) is a not-for-profit organization formed to provide its membership with expanded opportunities to play recreational and competitive tennis. The organization also serves as an alternative social forum for all members of the LGBT community.
What We Do
More than 30 years after its inception, MTG continues to expand in membership, events, and community outreach. Our members represent all reaches of the metropolitan and tri-state area.
MTG organizes the following on a continuing basis:
- The Liberty Open, an GLTA-sanctioned tournament
- Marsha Day Club Championships
- Matthew Shepard Tennis Jam fundraiser for the Matthew Shepard Foundation
- Participation in the Atlantic Cup, an intra-club competition
- Monthly singles and doubles parties (indoor and outdoor) throughout the year
- Winter Doubles League
- Summer Singles Ladder
- Total Tennis instruction weekends (twice a year)
- Contingents in local events like the LGBT Pride Parade and AIDS Walk New York
MTG continues to support its community through various charitable organizations by designating proceeds raised from our events and fundraisers.
Metropolitan Tennis Group (MTG) found its origins in the mid-1980s in New York City amidst a growing popularity of gay tennis. In 1985, Terry Fonville placed an ad in the Village Voice seeking other gays and lesbians interested in playing tennis together. Roughly 20 people responded, and the group met monthly in what was to become the precursor to our current monthly doubles parties. Over the years, the roster grew and during the 1987-88 season, Metropolitan Tennis Group formally organized, establishing a steering committee and electing its first Board of Directors.
In 1993, MTG created the Liberty Open, thereby officially joining the Gay and Lesbian Tennis Alliance (GLTA) circuit. The GLTA manages and sanctions an international coalition of tennis tournaments, and with over 40 annual events, represents one of the fastest growing gay sports organizations.
More than 20 years after its inception, MTG continues to expand in membership, events, and community outreach. Our members represent all reaches of the metropolitan and tri-state area.
- CTA Spotlight, New York Tennis Magazine, Jan/Feb 2012, Vol. 2, No. 1
- MATCH POINT, Top gay and lesbian tennis players battle it out, Village Voice, June 24, 2009
- Winning At Love, Matthew Shepard JAM Raises Money an Awareness, Outsports.com, Sept 28, 2005
- (VIDEO) Out at the Center's Gay and Lesbian Sports Leagues in New York, Jun 20, 2009
- (VIDEO) Coverage of the 8th annual Matthew Shepard Tennis Jam with special guest Judy Shepard, here! News, 2006
The MTG Board is a group of volunteers dedicated to the mission of MTG. For more information on The Board and how you might be able to get more involved in MTG, please click here