2018 Liberty Open
USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
Home of the US Open
Sponsored by: Lexus, Therapy Lounge, USTA Diversity and Inclusion
Saturday, June 30 - Monday, July 2
Metropolitan Tennis Group (MTG) proudly presents the Liberty Open, a Gay & Lesbian Tennis Alliance (GLTA) tournament played on the gorgeous grounds of the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center. Players from all over the world come to experience the courts where tennis legends compete for one of the most prestigious titles in the sport, the US Open. This is your opportunity to experience an iconic tennis facility and enjoy your free time away from the courts in one of the greatest cities in the world.
PLEASE REFER TO THE GLTA TOURNAMENT SOFTWARE FOR YOUR MATCH SCHEDULE
Draw Party: Friday, June 29th | 7 PM - 9 PMTHERAPY LOUNGE - a proud Liberty Open sponsor348 West 52nd Street in Hells Kitchen, NY
Play begins: Saturday, June 30th, 8:00 AM
The USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center
Banquet: Sunday, July 1st | 8-10 PMBOURBON STREET BAR & GRILLE346 West 46th StreetNew York, NY 10036
This is a social event without a seated service. We have ample small plates, one free drink, and excellent raffles. We promise to keep this fun and quick so you can get out into nightlife of Hell's Kitchen.
After-party: Sunday, July 1st | 10:30 - ?Therapy Lounge348 West 52nd Street
Finals: Monday, July 2nd.Any players who make it to the finals should expect to be available until 4 PM on Monday.OTHER INFORMATION1. FACILITY: All matches will take place at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadows - Corona Park, Queens, accessible via the #7 subway line or by car. In order to get into the facility - whether you take the train or drive or get an Uber/Lyft or ride - you will enter through the indoor training facility and proceed to the right to exit on to the US Open grounds. We will mark the pathway with patriotic balloons.
2. PARKING: There is free parking in Parking Lot B by the indoor facility. If you are driving, you will need to use Parking Lot B and will enter through the main entrance into the indoor facility. A detailed map will be included in the tournament program which will be delivered to you digitally on Friday.
Please plan ahead for inevitable travel delays and train trouble. Make sure to check the MTA website for any service delays or interruptions at travel.mtanyct.info/serviceadv
isory. Aim to arrive at least 30 minutes prior to your match. This will give you time to check in, say hi to your friends, visit the locker room, etc., and still be on time for the start of your match. Arrival means checking in at the tournament desk, which is a 7-10 minute walk from the train.
3. TOURNAMENT DESK: The Tournament Desk will be located in the South Plaza by court 14. This gorgeous location will give you endless photo opportunities with Ashe Stadium, US Open landmarks, and the iconic remnants of the Worlds Fair.
4. AMENITIES: Shower facilities are located in the locker rooms of the indoor facility. Towels will be provided upon request at the NTC front desk. The towels are provided for us as a courtesy; please be sure to return them. There will be bathrooms available much closer to the courts we are using and at the tournament desk.THE NTC Pro Shop will be open 10-6 each day of the tournament. They offer stringing services and carry a small selection of tennis supplies and US Open merchandise. The US Open grill will be open for breakfast and lunch each day. The tournament will provide bagels and bananas and a light lunch daily.
5. COURTS: We will be using both INDOOR and OUTDOOR courts. We will try to give everyone matches on the different courts, but please note, in order to keep on schedule - assignments will be done on a “next court available” basis.
6. NO PETS: The National Tennis Center will be enforcing this policy. If you bring a pet, you will not be allowed in the center, which may result in your having to forfeit a match. This is the policy of NTC and nothing MTG has any control over.
7. HEALTH AND MASSAGE: Yes, we are aware of our reputation of being a very "HOT" tournament. Part of that has to do with the hot players, like you, who come to play the tournament - but it also means that the temperatures may soar. This year we are anticipating extremely hot conditions - START HYDRATING NOW - and remember to bring the water bottle we are supplying to you in your player bag. We want everyone to have a safe, healthy, fun time.
Joshua Thompson will be providing massages. More info and a sign-up sheet will be at the tournament desk. He is talented and also a tremendous volunteer and friend to the GLTA.
8. SOCIAL MEDIA: We want to see your preparations for the tournament and we want you to stay engaged throughout the weekend using the Liberty Open Facebook group, Instagram, Twitter, Facebook with the tag #LibertyOpen2018 and #GLTA and @gltaworldtour Get those posts coming fast and furious and help to get the excitement building!
SCORING AND MATCH INFORMATION.
**Due to the forecast of temperatures in the 90s with additional humidity and the risk of heat-related illness we have made scoring changes** Please review:
1. all non-round robin, non-40+, SINGLES matches until the semifinals will be played with a 10-point super tiebreak in lieu of a third set. Non- round robin, non-40+ SINGLES matches will play a full best of 3 sets in the semifinals and finals. All DOUBLES matches, except the final, will be played with a third-set super tiebreak.
2. All round-robin matches (D singles) and all 40+division matches will be decided by a 10-point super tie-break in lieu of the third set until the FINALS which will be a full best of 3 sets.
3. Consolation matches will start on Sunday, July 1 All rounds will play an eight-game pro-set with no ad-scoring; the finals will consist of a three-set match. At 7-all, a standard set ending tie-break (first to 7 by 2) will be played.
5. We are on a very tight schedule, and a 6-minute warm-up will be enforced. Roving volunteers will enforce this rule, so if a tournament team member tells you warm-up is over, please start the match. Similarly, as soon as you are done, please vacate the court and report your scores to the tournament desk so that we can get the next match on right away.
6. Please use the score-keepers on each court, so that we can keep track of court availability.
For more information, please contact Tournament Director, Albert Cousins at LibertyOpenTournament@gmail.com or 716-432-7634